The Junior League of Rochester (JLR) Diaper Bank addresses diaper need in Monroe County, as well as surrounding counties, by providing diapers and diapering supplies to partnership organizations and social workers. We collect diapers (including open packages and loose diapers), pull-ups, training pants, wipes, and diaper creams. We also collect monetary donations, which are used to purchase these supplies at deep discounts.
Currently, we are distributing 20,500 diapers per month to our partners.
How Can You Help?
Diaper need has a physical effect on children and a psychological effect on parents who are unable to provide this basic necessity for their children. If you would like to support the JLR Diaper Bank, please consider donating, hosting a diaper drive, or donating supplies at one of our many drop off locations.
Make a Monetary Donation (Tax-Deductible):
Your funds will go directly towards diaper bank operations, namely: purchasing diapers, wipes, and diaper cream that will be donated to non-profit partner agencies to distribute to individuals in need. Through purchasing programs and economies of scale we are able to make your dollar go just a little bit further. Donate Here
Host a Diaper Drive or Help Spread the Word!
Hosting a diaper drive is easy! Diaper drives can be as simple as asking friends and family to bring packages of diapers to a gathering or asking co-workers to bring a package to work. We have put together a kit to help you spread the word about diaper need and give you all the details you need to know to run a drive.
If hosting a drive isn’t your thing, talking about diaper need or sharing our social media posts help us to spread the word. Questions? We are here to help! email@example.com
Drop off sites
You can drop off full or partial packages of unused diapers or diapering supplies at any of our drop off locations.
Fairport Public Library
1 Fairport Village Landing
Fairport, NY 14450
730 Long Pond Rd.
Rochester, NY 14612
Lori’s Natural Foods Center
900 Jefferson Rd.
Rochester, NY 14623
1387 Fairport Rd.
Fairport, NY 14450
The Laurelton Building
500 Helendale Rd #160
Rochester, NY 14609
2300 W Jefferson Rd
Pittsford, NY 14534
920 Elmgrove Rd
Rochester, NY 14624
Why Do We Need a Diaper Bank in Rochester?
Extreme Poverty Rates:
- Rochester is the 4th poorest city in the country among the top 75 metropolitan areas, with a poverty rate of 32.8%. Additionally, 24% of those living above the poverty level in Rochester make an income that is too low to be considered self-sufficient.
- Compared to similar cities of its size, Rochester:
- has the highest rate of childhood poverty, with more than half of children living in poverty;
- has the highest rate of extreme poverty (people living below 50 percent of the federal poverty level).
Lack of Government Assistance:
- Diapers and wipes are NOT covered by any form of government assistance.
- Babies require 6 to 12 diapers per day, and disposable diapers can cost as much as $70-$80 per month, per baby. Plus, wipes can cost an additional $30 or more, per month.
Diapers Are a Necessity:
- Without an adequate supply of diapers, families are left with no choice but to keep their children in dirty diapers or to re-use soiled ones. Babies who remain in a soiled diaper too long are exposed to potential health risks, such as yeast and bacterial infections, and severe diaper rash.
- Most childcare centers and early childhood education programs, including free and subsidized ones require parents to provide disposable diapers. Cloth diapers are not accepted at many childcare centers.
- Parents in diaper need miss an average of 4 days of work per month.
I need diapers-can you help me?
We do not distribute diapers directly to individuals, instead we give to partner non-profits that are working with individuals in need. We do have a list of partners that may accept referrals, if they have additional supplies. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more. When supplies and funds allow we periodically hold Community Distribution events where we give out diapers directly to community members. Follow @jrleagueroch on Instagram or @JLRochester on Facebook to be in the know on community events.
Thank you for your support!